Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Four Months Already



Just a quick update on my little Squeaky. He is quickly catching up to his stuffed doggy. I predict by the end of the year he will be just as long. At his most recent doctor's appointment this week he weighed in at 17 lbs 6 oz and 26 1/4" [90th percentile for both]. Needless to say I am getting my workout carrying him up and down our stairs. He is already into 6 months clothes and quickly moving on.

The best news is that we have almost had two straight weeks of sleeping 7 to 7 [give or take a half hour either way]. As I mentioned earlier, we haven't had the easiest road and he was not a baby who liked to sleep in his first two months--now he seems to be making up for lost time. Everybody chooses their method. The one that is working for us is Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. We're not on a tight schedule, but I loosely follow what I would call his pattern. Up for ninety minutes in the morning, then time for the morning nap. I try whenever possible to have the morning nap in the crib as it provides a good base for the rest of the day. We are also sleeping him on his stomach, with the blessing of two doctors. It works for us and has allowed us to get rid of the swaddle. Now that he is sleeping more, he truly is a happy boy. If he is fussing, he is either tired or hungry.




I am going to enjoy these moments as teething appears to be on the way, and I hear that is a total disruptor of schedules. I am also open to any tips and tricks for teething.

I am still looking for work. It's hard as this extra leave time wasn't planned for, but I just have to believe that I was given this break to appreciate what I tried so hard for...that irresistible face that makes me smile.

1 comment:

  1. Such a big boy! Love it!!!
    I just bought that book (like, right after I read your post.) I'm having some sleep issues with my six month old and you're the second mom to recommend this book. I'll give it a try. Congrats on 7-7! I know what a huge accomplishment that is!
    Other than all the usual tips you'll hear from everyone, I have two teething tips that I just discovered that Gavin loves. First, I soak his pacifiers (some that he doesn't use) in water. The bulb fills up with water and then I freeze them. He chews on them like crazy. Second, I fill his sippy cup with water and freeze it upside down. It's the same concept as the pacifiers. It freezes and he chews on it. He gets nice ice cold water as it melts. It last longer than the frozen pacifiers. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete